Friday, September 21, 2012

You may not...but I'm SAYING IT!!!

There is a guy that I work with that is a huge Alabama fan.  He loves the Tide as much as I love the Red Wolves.  I actually am not sure that I have seen him without an Alabama shirt or hat on.  One of the coolest things about the Crimson Tide is those fans have a "saying" that connects them.  Everyone knows it - Roll Tide!  I'm sure most folks have seen the ESPN commercial that states "It's Not Crazy, It's Sports". 


Gus Malzahn comes to A-State from Auburn.  The Tigers have their own saying - War Eagle!  For those of you that haven't seen Roll Tide, War Eagle, a 30 for 30 film from ESPN you are truly missing out on a fantastic documentary on the craziest rivalry in sports. 

Between my buddy and Gus, I've been thinking for a long time about a potential two word motto that ASU fans can use as their signature phrase.  Other than the two above one of the best in college football has a hand gesture that goes along with it.  Hook 'em Horns.  Like Texas or not.  The hand gesture and the phrase is a connection for Texas fans.  A-State fans already can use a similar hand gesture!

Most former Southwest Conference schools have their own sayings as well.  Texas A&M has Gig'em.  A phrase that started in 1930 when an Aggie Board of Regents asked what A&M was going to do to TCU and he self replied - Gig'em.  History was made.  University of Texas' Hook'em Horns came soon after and the Baylor Bears have their own as well - "Sic 'em.

Arkansas State recently put up a sign with PackPride on it.  Mickey Ryan tweeted to ASU Assistant AD for football if that was to be A-State's new #hashtag.  While that is a nice 2 word phrase.  It is also the scout.com site for the North Carolina State WolfPack.  I like it and had even thought that I would use RedWolfPride several weeks earlier when I read the story by Meredith Scott in the Herald.

It hit me tonight.  I found what I like and while not everyone will like it doesn't really matter to me.  I have planned to say it; use it as my #hashtag; and promote it as much as possible.  It came while watching the ULM game and sitting with my 7 year old son.  He said that ULM was good, but when they come to Jonesboro we are going to rip em up! 

Like it or not.  Say it yourself or refuse to say it.  Either way I'm Saying It!  Rip 'em!

2 comments:

  1. Actually that is pretty good..now how do we get everyone to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! What's your opinion on what is your common reading audience?

    ReplyDelete