Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Game!

I am not one that likes to talk about “The Game”. It has never happened and I’m not sure that it ever will. However there has been more and more talk about it since Gus Malzahn took over at Arkansas State. And now that the Bobby Petrino epic failure has resulted in the hiring of interim 10 month coach John L. Smith, it has really jumped into the limelight. However I feel it is a good time to give my opinion on ASU playing UA.

I am an ASU fan through and through. I don't cheer for UA - and never will. Now I don't cheer against them, I just don't cheer for them. The truth is I just don’t care about them. They mean nothing to me. I think about them about the same way that I think about other schools that A-State doesn't schedule - say like Colorado. ASU doesn't play them so I don't think about them. I follow Arkansas State athletics and national sports news, so except for the last two seasons, (and well the national obsession with motorcyclegate) I haven't had to hear anything about the UA. The only time that they become an issue is when both teams are recruiting the same kid. Other than that they are usually pretty insignificant.

I know that a ton of Red Wolf fans obsess with playing them, but I’m not very interested in the game. It seems they are not willing to pay the amount of money that other schools have paid for a game versus a Division I mid major like ASU. Arkansas State only plays those games to supplement the athletics budget and ASU Athletics Director needs to look for top dollar when playing those type games. I do think the policy of not playing the game is outdated and absurd but I am interested in seeing Arkansas State continue to build its fanbase, attendances and donation levels. I sort of feel like the guy that doesn’t want to use big brother to help me get a job. I want to prove that I can do it on my own. ASU can do it on its own, even with the things that the UA and the state have put in place to hold ASU down.

For those that have issue with the last sentence…

ASU has done really well (perhaps not on the field) building its program on its own. Yes there have been a number of lean years and UA fans love to take shots at ASU and its fanbase. I even heard on a radio show the other day that a UA fan had to get his shot in that UA had 45,000 for their spring game and ASU only had 6,000. I quickly wanted to respond that ASU’s increase was 3000 more from last year to this year. Back to the point tells us that ASU has done amazingly well in building a fanbase while having only a couple of winning seasons since moving D1. ASU's fanbase is very hardcore. And most of them HATE the UA. I know that breaks the Razorback fans hearts as they mostly believe this state is all-Razorback. But the truth is ASU's fanbase is very competitive in numbers when it comes to mid-major programs. Arkansas fans belittle the Red Wolf fans for their support and numbers but that is because they always compare ASU to SEC schools. Comparing Arkansas State to programs on par or maybe a little bigger or smaller when looking at budgets and conference you will see that ASU has overcome many self inflicted setbacks as well as outside oppressive setbacks.

So let’s just imagine. Imagine if ASU had been successful on the field over the last 20 years since joining Division I even just averaging 6 wins during that time with several winning seasons and bowl appearances. Imagine that the UA hadn't pushed the state to limit the amount of money other schools in state could use toward athletics and ASU could have an athletic budget to compare with the Southern Miss, Tulsa, and Houston type programs. Imagine that the media in Arkansas gave ASU coverage of a second D1 team in the state. Imagine where this fanbase could be if ASU administration would have made the decision to go all-in 20 years ago. The Arkansas State fanbase would be two or three times larger than it is. If that were true the 30,000 seat stadium would need to be expanded.

Well the ASU administration has decided to go all-in. This pretty solid mid major fanbase is as excited as it has ever been and is pushing its chest out with pride. A leader is in place with Malzahn that can take a #NextLevel step with the program. There has been more national media coverage for Arkansas State in the last few months than you have ever seen. It is even putting pressure on the state media to give ASU their 2nd school status in coverage.

ASU's fanbase will continue to grow and more and more ASU graduates will show more pride. And if you think ASU fans were obnoxious before - hide and wait. Cause beating the Ladybacks in the WNIT and hearing the Hog fans calling talk shows and being shocked that people from the state of Arkansas were booing the Razorbacks was just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't want to play the Razorbacks - we don't need them. We are making it on our on - slowly but surely. HERE WE COME!!!!!! REDWOLFNATION!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment